There is a huge range of things you can do to safeguard your children in the home, from kitchen cupboard, door locks, plug covers to stair gates.
What I would like to talk about is your gas appliances and how to keep you safe all year round with an annual service. I feel as there is very limited information out there for you, as the person living in the house.
The first and most obvious is to service all of your gas appliances. There is a long list of reasons why you should get gas appliances serviced regularly which I write about next time, this is one very important way of making sure your gas appliances are safe and have been maintained, to try to foresee future problems.
Cars over 4 years old must by law pass and MOT test, this is not the case for gas appliances although landlords must have a gas safety certificate every year or face a fine or worse. Knowing that gas appliances like a car are essential to our everyday life it should be checked annually for safety.
But the main safety reason for a service is to make sure that Carbon monoxide isn’t in your property by testing the correct operation, flue system, seals and casing. You would be amazed at the amount of birds that find your chimney pot a perfect nesting place and then block it off.
It is a by-product of burning carbon fuel like the natural gas (mains gas) i.e a boiler and the petrol in your car. Even small doses of carbon monoxide can be dangerous.
It might seem like a time-saver to run your car in the garage, especially on a cold winter’s morning. But the emissions from your vehicle could fill your garage with carbon monoxide (CO)—a dangerous, silent threat—even if the garage door is open.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and toxic gas that claims over 430 lives a year.
Carbon monoxide is deadly because it binds with your red blood cells and starves your body of oxygen after passing into your lungs.
These are the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
Shortness of breath
Perhaps most troubling is the similarity to cold or flu-like symptoms that are easy to ignore—shortness of breath, nausea, and mild headaches. Disorientation and unconsciousness can occur when levels of carbon monoxide reach 150 parts per million (ppm).
So after having the gas appliances serviced we would recommend having a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide detectors are the fastest way to prevent CO poisoning. You can install a carbon monoxide detector (or multiple detectors) in your home. They work much like your fire or smoke alarm by sounding a siren when they detect carbon monoxide.
You can find simple models that set off a siren, or smart detectors that connect to your smartphone or home security system. Its like having a little gas man in your house all year round!!
The CO alarm sounds if your sensor detects a buildup of carbon monoxide in your home—usually before you start sensing symptoms. At lower concentrations (50 ppm), it may take up to eight hours for the alarm to go off. Higher levels (over 150 ppm) can trigger an alarm within minutes.
Act quickly when an alarm sounds by turning off all appliances and open all windows to clear the gases from the room and call either the gas emergency line on 0800 111 999 or call us and we will get an engineer out to you as quickly as we can.
Please get in touch if you need any gas appliances serviced or would like a carbon monoxide detector installed, we can usually do this when the service is being done. Please get in touch here or call us on 0117450 7400.
Karina Findlay is the Managing Director of Fastfix Heating and her mission is to ensure that all our customers benefit from a fast, friendly and reliable service. She works with the rest of the team to provide a quality plumbing and heating service.